Tuesday, November 30, 2010

a coincidence? i think not...



God puts people, situations and things in our lives for some reason. Some we may find out about and others not at all. I believe that He puts all the pieces together and forms our lives paths.
One cool thing is that Ben is in room 3037 and my room has those same numbers. Back at Shepherd Center in Atl Ben's first room number was 229 which was also our house number! Might sound crazy to y'all but I take it from the Lord...He looks after us even down to the numbers!
As far as the hospital names...
Shepherd Center - The Lord is our Shepherd, we don't need anything but Him!
Good Samaratin - God used us and others to to show His love!
Palo Alto VA - ok nothing scriptural here but we talked and if we have twins in the future we were going to name then Palo and Alto...hahaha not really...just humerous!

The name of the rehab facility we are currently in has a special name it us. Kessler Rehab is not biblical but it is the last name of one amazing man who was also a good friend of Ben's! Ben was able to work along side of Jason Kessler while stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA. Not only did they work together but they also had fun and climbed Mt. Rainier in WA together. I didn't have the priviledge of meeting Jason but I heard good things about him. On Ben's last deployment in July of 2007 Ben called me and did not have alot to say. I do remember him saying, "it has been a bad night." I knew that meant injuries and death. I couldn't ask him about it due to being on the phone and security...I didn't get info until he go home. He lost a good buddy that day and it has effected him til this day! Not only was Kessler a a good friend to Ben but he loved Jesus with all of his heart! They were able to encourage each other in the physical but even better in the spiritual!!

....Cpl. Jason M. Kessler, 29, was an automatic rifleman assigned to 2 nd Battalion, 75 th Ranger Regiment at Fort Lewis, Wash. He was born on Oct. 21, 1977, in Long Beach, Calif. He was killed on July 30, 2007, while engaged in combat operations in northern Iraq when the tactical vehicle he was riding in was struck by a rocketpropelled grenade. This was his third deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
After graduating high school in Mount Vernon, Wash., Kessler attended The Masters College, Santa Clarita, Calif., and earned a bachelor of arts in biblical studies. He was continuing his education at the University of Washington, Seattle Campus with emphasis on philosophy. Kessler enlisted in the Army from his hometown of Mount Vernon in January 2005 and completed One Station Unit Training at Fort Benning, Ga., as an infantryman. After graduating from the Basic Airborne Course there, he was assigned to the Ranger Indoctrination Program also at Fort Benning.
He graduated from the Ranger Indoctrination Program in June 2005 and was then assigned to 2 nd Bn., 75 th Ranger Regiment. He served there as an Automatic Rifleman.
He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, and Meritorious Service Medal...

Ben always wanted to go back to see Kessler's parents but right when he got back from that deployment we were married and then moved to GA. When we were on our way back to WA for more rehab for Ben I wrote Kessler's mom and told her what had happened to Ben. I wanted to tell her that Ben wanted to visit and now was really unable, also that we would never forget Kessler and all that he had done for us! I have been in contact with her ever since! She is amazing and keeps tabs on us! Her text messages come when I need them and she always asks how she can pray for Ben and I! She still has a photo of Ben and Kessler on her fridge of them both on the mountain! One day soon not only will I get to meet Kessler's parents but Ben will be able see them as well!! I cannot wait!
I thought it really neat that we could go to a place that shared a very special name to us! I have explained this to Ben and he said, "that is cool!" "I miss him!" We get to add another soldier to who Ben is doing therapy for. Grider and Kessler are men in Ben's life that we will always remember and Ben will work hard for!

**We love you Kessler family and Erin!

7 comments:

marlece said...

we have a detailed God don't we?

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear Katie!! You are so right, there is NO SUCH THING as coincidence for those who follow Jesus. Please pass my love and prayers and gratitude for their sacrifice, to the Kessler family and Erin. Thank you. Marion You know, Palo, and Alto might just do for names...LOL :)

MelissaFraser said...

Oh Katie--This is so two things that I can't get off my heart. 1) People are put into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Clearly Kessler was ALL 3. 2) God is a God of Timing...Beth Moore knows what she's talking about. Thank you for your post..xx

Jennifer Jayhawk said...

Nothing is a coincidence! It is all meant to be.

University of Iowa Meg said...

What a great coincidence. I am also loving your new Christmas background!

Lindsey said...

Wow, that is truly amazing! God is so good. I had a friend in the army get killed in Iraq that same month and year. His vehicle was also destroyed by a grenade. I wonder if it was the same one and if they knew each other. Joshua Brown was his name. This is a time to truly be thankful that the Troops serve and served our country with honor, valor, and dignity!

Mom said...

This is a great post, Katie. I see those times as God's way of reminding us of His presence. They are like little love notes from God -- as if He's saying:

"Dear Ben and Katie,

I knew this was going to happen long before I created you in your mothers' wombs. I have prepared you in advance. I have left evidence of my handiwork for you to see along the way to remind you that I am with you always and that I will never forsake you. I love you enough to take on the sins of the world and be sacrificed so that one day you may live with me in paradise for all eternity.

I love you with all my heart, soul and mind,

God"

Thank you for sharing, Katie. Keep your eyes on Jesus!

With love in Christ,

Denise R. from Texas

P.S. My husband's first hospital room was 229. See, one more love note from God to me as I read your post!