Thursday, March 24, 2011

a few stairs closer...


It has been amazing to see how Ben is doing these past few days since I have been back! His therapists said that while I was gone he was initiating alot more, asking people how they are doing without them asking him, and just over all doing really well. I have noticed alot of those things too! Amazing!

Ben and I had some big accomplishments today! While in PT this am Ben's therapist asked if I wanted to stay and have family training. Of course I was up to it! Ben and I took a walk around the hospital floor and I was surprised as to how well Ben was doing! It has been almost 2 weeks since I have walked with him and have noticed a big difference. He was not leaning to the left like he normally would do, he was keeping his heels down, his head was up better, he slowed down around corners and when the hallways became congested and his balance was much better. We did have a few hiccups but Ben did really well! We went two times with Ben's therapist looking on and then the next time he said, "alright, you both are on your own! I am going to stay in the gym and I will see you when you get back!" EEEEKKK!!! Inside I was freaking out a bit but on the outside I had to be composed for Ben! It went really well and Ben did great! Ok, I did too! We passed the test!! We can now walk together and with Ben's walker outside of his room with no one helping us!! That means instead of using his wheelchair to go eat or to therapies Ben can walk there! We are getting to the point of less chair time!! This is huge and a big accomplishment!!

Later on in the same PT session Ben attempted the stairs! He doesn't do it that often so today was another time to try it! Before the accident Ben loved climbing any mountain that he could get close to. He loved climbing Mt. Rainier in WA whenever he got home from a deployment or whenever he got a chance. He also loved taking people with him and still owes a few people a trip! Working on the stairs today took me back to those moments! Yes, there were only four stairs but that is four steps closer to getting back on his mountains!
Here is a 3 part video of Ben climbing away...





and one on a mountain with a few of his buddies...


Praise the Lord for His continued healing in Ben! He is still in the business of miracles!!

Sayings from Ben...
I asked Ben to sit up in bed because it was time for more therapy. He attempted to sit up a tad and then laid back down while saying in a whining voice and sarcastic smirk, "i just can't do it!" I told him that he could do it and that I didn't need to help him. He said back, "Rangers really need their wives to help them!" I said back that yes this is true and offered his my hands. He reached half way up for them and again in the same tone of voice said, "i just cannot do it, i need your help!" It turned into a laughing fit from me, a continuing sarcastic smile from Ben and both of us working on getting him out of bed but me makine
Ben do alot of it! Stinker, milkin it for all its worth!

8 comments:

Theresa said...

Praise God for less chair time. How exciting!

Caroline said...

Seeing his continual progress just makes my heart happy.

The Life We Love said...

Love that he is climbing stairs. It's all those extra prayer from the weekend:) We will keep praying for ongoing strength!

Kim @ The Gab said...

I am so glad you've had such a great week. Thanks for showing/sharing his progress. Always praying for you both. I'm going to send you that pic of us soon. Thanks for your sweet bday wishes :)

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to hear how well Ben is doing, you to for that matter. I love you, Marion

Joel and Becca said...

I second what Caroline said. :) Thank you for sharing so openly with all of us in the blogging world, I know I love keeping up with how Ben is doing and knowing how I can better pray for you guys. It is SO great to see what God is doing in your life! :D

~Becca (also in WA!)

Emily said...

Seeing him climb the stairs was so great! I love reading your guys humor. How you can banter back and forth.

And I third what Caroline said =)

Ashleigh said...

Wonderful posts Katie! Truly inspiring... also, I loved the comment about Mt. Ranier and Ben taking buddies. I've been lucky enough to hear stories and see pictures from the trip Nick took up there with Ben. Tell Ben to keep up all the hard work!!!