“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”
I am starting a journey tomorrow (Monday) with our church (they started today) in GA called the Daniel fast. It will take place for 21 days. I know this is late notice but I wanted to present it to you. I would ask you to prayerfully join if you are able and feel led by the Lord. Here is a litle information on it...
Theme of the fast—fasting and prayer: Your goal in fasting is to become closer to God by voluntarily denying the demands of your flesh. Increase your prayer life during this time. Study the Scriptures with a new intensity. When the fast is over, you should have a new spiritual strength from overcoming the cravings that usually control your life and from dedicating yourself to God.
Biblical model: Do a personal study of fasting. In the book of Daniel, chapters 2 and 10, Daniel describes two examples of his personal fasting and the dramatic results. Isaiah described God's chosen fast in Isaiah 58. Jesus fasted in the wilderness (Matthew 4, etc.) and spoke of the necessity of fasting for believers. It was a normal part of early church life. Fasting is one way we respond to the admonition throughout the Scriptures to die to our self-will and not to accommodate the desires of the flesh.
Types of food included in this Daniel fast:
• All fruits, all veggies, whole grains (whole wheat, brown rice, millet, oats, barley, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn) and all nuts and seeds.
• Pure fruit juices or fruit (no sweetened drinks or sweetened fruit): apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice...all 100% juice!
• It is advisable to take vitamin, mineral, and possibly protein supplements during the fast. You may also include various nuts to serve as a protein supplement.
Foods not included in this Daniel fast:
• Sugar and sugar products (desserts, soft drinks, etc.)
• Drinks including caffeine (coffee, tea, etc.)
• Bread, grains, and rice • Meats, fish, poultry, dairy products, eggs
Water: Drink 8 glasses of water daily throughout the fast. This is very important.
I am doing this fast for direction, guidance, to seek the Lord more for my own relationship with Him and to cover Ben and I in a way that only the Lord can do! This fast is going to be hard for me because it will be stopping alot of things that have become habit (coffee), just altogether taste good and things that I may run to instead of the Lord! I really believe that I am to join in on this fast and allow the Lord to work in mine and Ben's lives!
There may be a few modifications that I will have to make due to my own system and not losing any more drastic weight like I did after the accident. I will be going until January 31. Please like I said above consider doing this fast with me (to the degree that you are able) and Ben and join with us for a time of healing and restoration in our lives and yours as well!!
"God's kingdom isn't a matter of what you put in your stomach . . . It's what God does with your life as he sets it right, puts it together, and completes it with joy. Your task is to single-mindedly serve Christ." (Romans 14, The Message)