Friday, March 5, 2010

I am back (for today)...


I got an e-mail saying that my computer was shipped...only to find out that it is being shipped from Shanghai, China! Well, HP must have a warehouse and place to build computers there! They say it should be here by the 10th of March! I am using my sisters computer so that I don't have to type on my minute iPod screen!
A few things before I get into what Ben has been up to! First, a few blogs ago I mentioned how God totally convicted me (really kicked me in the bumm) on how I was missing out on all the things he was doing in Ben now because I was so focused on the big tasks of walking and talking! I have had this in my heart all last week and God has been teaching me and giving me peace about it all. I still long and desire for Ben to do these things but he is doing BIG things now! God is still healing Ben and I need to see that and how Jesus is deciding to do it! So, if you have things going on in your life and are focusing on the end and how it will be done then you are going to miss out on what God has right in front of you! Look to what Jesus is doing right now and praise Him for it!!
Secondly, I am still amazed to how many people are responding to our blog, sending encouragement, sending notes and lifting up prayers....and many of you I have never even met or heard of before! I have been e-mailed encouragement, those sharing their own struggles and many on how a family member or close friend have had brain injuries! I am so grateful for you all and am glad that I can write about our journey and allow God to use it to touch many people and their faith! May it reach thousands and may many people come to know our Jesus, the Healer, protector, Father, and best friend...the list could go on!
And now for my Ben! He has been doing so well and is coming along! He has been more alert (unless he fakes us out with closing his eyes and ignoring us), trying new things and doing the best he can in his therapies! I will list some of the things he has been doing in Physical Therapy (PT), Occupational Therapy (OT), and Speech Therapy (SP).
PT - sitting at edge of mat and keeping himself up with no help for at least 5 seconds (this is a long time for him), he was harnessed in a Ligate walking contraption and he walked from a back mat, out the door and down the hall a bit (he had help moving his legs but he was doing really well at helping), leaning over on his elbows and supporting himself and been spending time on his tummy which is a HUGE stretch for him but he is doing much better with it now.
OT -Ben has been up in the standing frame quite a few times and each time is getting stronger. He has a sling type harness under his bumm that helps him to stand. While he is standing there is a table in front of him where they help him to write and draw certain objects. So far he has attempted to write his name (he gets a good B, half and E and the rest is squigglly lines...which doesn't surprise me), made a circle, heart and square! He also has picked up to sanding a wood tulip that he is making for me! Next comes painting it! One HUGE thing he did is use a pedal machine for his arms. It is like pedals on a bike but you do it with your arms instead. Last Saturday he did it for 1.5 seconds and really struggled with is left arm (it is the weaker one) but come Monday he got on it again and did it strongly with BOTH arms for over 4 min!! When they asked him if he wanted a break after a few min because his left arm was slipping Ben picked up that arm and grabbed that handle and kept going...way to fight Ben!!
ST - Ben is officially addicted to bananas, mashed potatoes and pureed peaches and not failing to mention ice chips with both apple juice and cranberry juice! He has been doing really well with these textured foods! The last few days I have given him a banana and I make him use his arm to give himself his own bit! He takes the biggest bites ever, chews it up and gives a good swallow! Ben eats is as if he will never see a banana again! They have been working with alot of yes/no answers and Ben has been giving very slight head nods!! You have to watch closely to see it but he does it! They have a communication computer that they are working with him on as well and on a good day Ben does a great job!
Yesterday was a beautiful and slightly warm day here! The Rec department had set up another outing to the park so we went! My mom, lil bro and nephew came as well. We saw a 170lb St. Bernard, hound dogs galore, kids and tons of people! Ben was wide awake the whole time and when I asked if he was enjoying being outside he gave me one finger for yes...that finger couldn't have come up any faster! Ben loves his outdoors!
Referrals and paperwork are still being worked on to go down to Cali! We have yet to get an official date of when we might go down! I am excited to go and see what God has for Ben there but sad to leave my family! Thank goodness it is only a 2 hour flight away!! I will keep you posted on dates and all!!
So, as you can see Ben continues to make improvements! I thank Jesus everyday for these and praise Him for them! Ben continues to be strong and very courageous!

Blessings!
Katie and Ben

"Jesus please heal all of the bones in Uncle Ben's brain and heal Aunt Kate's scratches (my scars)...in Jesus name!" My 5 yr old nephew!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm not really knew to your blog. I've been visiting for a while and reading about you and Ben. For some reason this is the first time I'm commenting! I have to tell you that I'm so happy about Ben's improvements. I can almost see the happiness coming from you just by reading your words. I also have to tell you that you are one of the most strongest people I think I've ever heard of. Being that we are both young, married women, I try to put myself in your shoes. I know I would be there for my husband but I dont know that I would be able to be as strong as you are!

Thank you so much for saying, that God gives us so many little Big things. I needed to hear that today. I've been kind of in a funk lately and I need to appreciate what I have!

Always here reading and cheering you both on!!! Just like we are all praying for Ben, were all praying for you as well!! Stay strong! You are beautiful, inside and out!!

lil said...

Hi Ben and Katie!!
I just started reading your blogs this week, and went ALL the way back to last August when the accident happened. Naomi (Hansen) Goodwin is my daughter-in-law, and she has a link on her blog. (She'll be in Olympia this weekend!!) I assume that she knows you, Katie, as it seem that Ben is from GA.
Anyway, now that I know about both you and your struggles, you have another prayer warrior praying for you!! God bless and give you glimpses of how great your lives will be together because of all these difficulties!

Unknown said...

You are so right about looking for what Jesus is doing right now, instead of always looking ahead and to the end. That's a great word sister!
Thanks for the update!!

Kim @ The Gab said...

Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I'll continue to send encouragement whenever I can.
Your sister in Christ -Kim