Sunday, December 19, 2010

the dreaded phone calls...



Oh my goodnes what a whirlwind the last almost 24 hours have been! Yesterday I was able to take Ben for a quick Panera Bread stop and then the rest of the afternoon was spent hanging out im my room! We snuggled, slept and watched Christmas movies together! I took him back to the hospital where I fed him dinner and then got him up to the bathroom. After I was done getting Ben to the bathroom I took of to my room for the night. Sometimes I come back and sometimes like last night I just go back to get to bed early. Last night was one of those nights...until the dreaded phone call! Around 9:15pm the hospital number popped up on my phone! I knew something was wrong to get a phone call at this time of the night. It was a weekend doc calling to let me know that Ben had fallen and hit his head on the potty chair while being transfered. They did several neuro checks on him and he was fine. Ben complained of some head pain so they gave him Tylenol. When they checked on him soon after he said he didn't have any more pain. I got dressed very quickly and was on my way to go and check things out. I got there and gave him hugs and kisses. I asked if he was ok and he said yes. I then asked him if he remembered what happened and he said, "I fell and hit my head!" I asked if he was in pain and he said no. I then asked him if he got any pain meds (to check his memory) and he said, "they gave me tylenol." I asked him a few more orientation questions and he was just dandy. After that I asked if he needed anything and he said, "check to see if I have both my feets and toes!" Oh my I thought! Me-"did you hurt your feet when you fell?" Ben-"no, just make sure they are there!" I counted them all for him and he was content! :) I snuggled with him for a bit and he was out!

Call number 2, yes number 2 came this morning about 0730!! What the heck! It was another doc saying that they thought that Ben had a seizure and that they were sending him to another hospitals ER (Ben is in a rehab center so they are not equipped for this stuff) to have him checked out. They said that he had possilbly bit his tongue and that his arms were shaking for 5 min! They said that I could meet him at the ER. So, on went my clothes from the night before along with a hat! I grabbed some coffee from the hotel because I knew that ER visits are not short!
I got to Ben and my heart about dropped! Poor guy looked horrible! I tried to ask him questions and he was trying to answer but no words would come out! He grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go! He looked so sedated and out of it! I had forgotten that we give Ativan to patients with seizures and was totally freaked out by his reactions and how he was not able to respond. After I was told he was given Ativan my heart slowed down! They came in and did blood work, an EEG and a few neuro tests followed by the long awaited CT scan. During this time Ben started to come to more. At one point he got my attention and said, "I want to touch your face!" Bless him! I let him touch away as he put a hand to each of my cheeks and stroked them! I was grateful I had my ipod with me because I was able to put on some hymns for Ben. At one point I looked over and he was mouthing the words to one of the hymns! Again, bless this man! I knew Ben was starting to feel better when he said he was hungry, thirsty and wanted to brush his teeth!
With no results yet on the CT and 5 hours in the ER the doc decided to admit Ben and do seizure monitoring on him overnight just to be on the safe side. So, we are in another hospital, in another room with all new people! Oh man! I was able to sneak away after Ben at lunch (after 2pm) and get some things for him and myself.
While I write this Ben is FINALLY sleeping (he didn't sleep the whole day) and I am sipping on a Starbucks! I might pay for it later tonight but I don't care, it tastes so good!
I have often wondered why I might have been in the accident with Ben and today I found out another reason...the dread that came over my heart and soul to see my man suffering was almost more then I could take! In a way the Lord saved me from alot of that by having me be in the car with him that night. I also questioned today why the Lord would allow Ben to go through a fall with banging his head and seizure issues today when he has already been through so much! I don't know why but I am praying that some good will come out of this visit to another hospital. Maybe they will be able to pinpoint exactly where his seizures are coming from and get him on the right meds. Maybe this is what he needed for his healing process, some say that seizures bring healing. I have no idea! What I can say is that I don't want to go through this ever again!!
One of the hardest things about this is that I know nobody here! I wanted so desperatley someone to drive over and sit with Ben and I! I got mass love and encouragement through texts and phone calls and for that I am grateful!! It is hard being away but this is a season in our lives that we are called to be away...again for some reason that the Lord has!

Please, please, please continue to lift Ben up in your prayers! Pray for good results on his seizure monitoring sessions, the doctors wisdom and strength for Ben and I!

6pm...after I wrote this blog...Ben just woke up from his nap and he is VERY confused! He cannot answer any of my questions that he normally answers. He can tell me who I am but nothing else. He also doesn't want to eat or do anything. I am sure that there will be more tests to follow. My emotions are everywhere! Please pray for us!

{the only way i could get ben to sleep!}


Blessings to you all!!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man! that was scary, i'm sorry! i'll continue to pray for you guys. thank you for the updates. you and ben are such cuties, your posts always make me smile- your both really lucky to have each other :)

Syndal said...

So sorry you guys are having a bit of a rough weekend! Thinking of you up here in minnesota-sending lots of long distance prayers your way for healing, strength, and peace.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Honey!! I just finished commenting your last blog. I don't understand why Father has given you this, yet again. I do trust Him for your sanity and your rest (in spite of Starbucks). I'll have a few questions when I see Father....but then again, when I see Him the answers will be there. I love you, Marion

Hannah said...

Prayers from Wisco. "Dreaded phone calls"--aptly named... hoping you don't have anymore of those in the near future and that your heart can find some peace in the next few days. Lots of love!

Renee said...

Katie,
I am so sorry to hear about Ben's accident. I am a follower who has prayed for both of you so months! Stay strong!!

Theresa said...

Praying here. Keep leaning on our heavenly Father for strength. Keep pressing on , dear sister.

Jennifer Jayhawk said...

This post was hard to read so I cannot imagine what it was like to live through... You are amazingly strong. I will certainly keep you and Ben in my prayers.

Candice said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will pray for all the things requested!!!

Dreams Do Come True said...

bless his heart. <3

Rachel Schuman said...

praying for continued healing for ben. this is a small set back. ya'll will get through it. praying for some rest and peace for you.

NiCole said...

I have been following your blog. I pray for you and your dear sweet Ben. Your faith is a real testament.

Miss Southern Vol said...

Oh goodness. I cannot imagine how hard this is- especially when you hit bumps in the road and so close to Christmas. Continuing to keep yo and Ben in my prayers and thoughts daily. Thank you so much for your continues posts, pictures and videos. I just love them! Hopefully you can get some rest! Keep us updated on Ben's status!

Mallory said...

Praying!

molly june. said...

praying! praying! i'm so sorry you & ben have to face all of this. when you are weak, HE is strong. xoxo

Kaitlin Akert said...

I recently have read your story, can i say God is so evident in Ben and your life. Thank you for blogging and updates. Keep trusting in God and place all hope on Him, He knows all & He is faithful, rely on His perfect timing! you and Ben are in my prayers.
Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
-Kaitlin

Lynn Adams-Hunt said...

Katie- Just know that prayers are constantly circling the throne of heaven on behalf of you and Ben. Continue to trust him and expect good things. Life, healing, wholeness is what we are declaring according to God's word. Jesus Is...

Emily said...

Lifting you and Ben up in prayers...hugs!

Julie said...

I've been following your blog for a few months. I found it at A Love Worth Waiting For. Please know that I am praying for you and Ben. You are an inspiration and so is Ben.

Elizabeth said...

I am so so sorry hun! I will continue to pray for Ben's healing and for you to have strength.

http://cautionblondeblogging.blogspot.com/

Allie said...

Oh Katie I am so sorry. You and Ben are always in my prayers. Blessings your way, I hope you stay strong and Ben heals quickly.

Mom said...

Hello Dear Katie and Ben:

I have been so busy the last few days that I have not checked your blog. I'm so sorry. Things were going so well with y'all lately that I've only checking the couple of blogs where people I'm praying for are critical right now. However, I won't make that mistake again. I don't even know you or Ben. I just feel that the Lord brought me to your blog to be a prayer warrior for you both. He just showed me today how vigilant we must be in our prayers for you both. I have been praying for you, though, through the past several days. I have been praying that the Lord will give Ben back his short-term memory. Bless you, Father, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, that Ben has had some success lately with his short-term memory. I will continue to pray for that. However, I know you have even greater prayer needs now. Bless you, Father, maker of heaven and earth, for leading me to Ben & Katie's blog so that I may join everyone in lifting them up before Your throne. All the glory, honor and praise belongs to Your name.

Heal Ben, Oh LORD, and he will be healed; save him, and he will be saved, for you are the one he praises. (From Jeremiah 17:14)

With love in Christ,

Denise R. from Texas

Shelley M. said...

Hi Katie...
Want you to know our family is praying for you and Ben! Thank you so much for including us in asking for prayer...Like the scripture says there is power when two or more agree in prayer!
Dear Lord,
I pray for Katie right now...wrap her in your arms of comfort and peace. Continue to do your miracle working power in Ben.
In your precious name we can call on anytime, anywhere...and for that we are so thankful.
Amen

Love you Katie!

Shelley