Thursday, October 28, 2010

our day...



I got to thinking about what we were up to last year on our anniversary. It was 2 months after the accident and Ben was still considered to be in a coma! He had a small amount of therapies and that night he slept! Last year Ben couldn't talk, walk, go far from his bed or say I LOVE YOU! Oh man, I remember that day and night so well! I didn't want Ben to be in the hospital but I was thankful that I was with him!
So, while Ben slept I watched the Biggest Loser (yes I remember what was on) and feasted on anniversary treats! The Lord has brought Ben so far because this is what we did all day this year...
Of course there was no day off for Ben and he had his typical day with therapies! Let me just say he sat and balanced for a good long time and had an amazing walk down the hallway with HIS HEAD UP! Ben and me and his parents to root him on! He did awesome and it was like Ben was telling me...I am working extra hard for our anniversary day!
At lunch time some of the nurses and staff snuck out and sang Happy Anniversary and gave us a sweet treat!



After lunch Ben got a short break and then it was off to more therapies! Therapies for his eyes, Rec/Speech therapy and neuro psych!

Best part of the day...we got to go our for dinner!! This is the first time in over a year that Ben and I have been able to go out for dinner!! He was tired after a full day of therapies but he still wanted to go! We went to the Olive Garden and Ben ATE! He was just so happy that it was not hospital food!
After dinner I was able to tell him that I had a special treat for him and told him about people writing him encouraging notes!! He said OOHHH!!! I started taking them out of the bag and kept stacking them up on the table! We didn't open them there (we are saving them for this weekend's surprise) but we continued to have fun! To end the evening after dinner our Rec therapist brought us back and asked if she could give us an anniversary present and pray for us! What a blessing that was to have her pray over Ben and I!





Ben got back to his room and pretty much crashed! We found a note waiting for us on his bed from Ben's neuro psych doc that was another blessing! I then asked if he was going to snuggle or just go to sleep and he said, "just go to sleep!" I asked did he want to just to go back to my room so he could sleep and he said, "no, stay and snuggle while I sleep!" After I snuggled for a bit and then headed back to my room for some shut eye! When I got there I found flowers in my room from BEN!! Sneaky, sneaky!! He worked with someone and gave me a sweet surprise!

His note said...Happy Anniversary Katie! You are the most amazing wife! I am so thankful for you and all you do for me! You are the love of my life. Ben



All in all we had a lovely day! Jesus has blessed us with eachother and for that I am so grateful! Even though this is never where we thought we would be it is where we are and I am tankful that I get to be with my man! I love him so much!

Thank you for all of your anniversary wishes and blessings! Your comments were perfect and made our day more special! Ben and I are truly blessed!!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is some pile of letter you have there. God sure has blessed you both!

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

Oh Katie that is AMAZING! This post made me cry... but cry tears of joy! I have been following your blog and have read from the beginning to the end for the past couple of weeks! So happy that you had the wonderful anniversary that you so deserve! The future is going to be so amazing for you and Ben! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!!

University of Iowa Meg said...

AWWWE great post!! :) I stole your button for my page...I hope to send you more traffic to your site. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

It looks to me that Ben is smiling in the photo with the cupcake! I know his smile will come back in full force! God Bless!

Mallory said...

I hope my letter made it in time!

Leah said...

I am glad you guys had a good anniversary. I can't wait to hear his reaction when you read all the cards.

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll had a great anniversary!

marlece said...

tears.....happy anniversary you two!

Anonymous said...

My Dear Katie!! W O W !!!! How pleased I am, you had so many cards. It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday. The Olive Garden is a great place for a special meal. I love you, Marion

Nickole said...

I know you dont know me the best but I did enjoy meeting with you and getting to spend time with you at the pool in Palo Alto. You are a very strong girl and I pray for you and Ben. Its great to see how far he has come since we came in July. You make so may wives out thier realize what they have and for you im greatful. You have more strength then alot of people and I hope you keep up the faith. You will see what wonders that will come for you and Ben. God bless you!! From a distant friend Nickole:).

Kathleen said...

I love the picture with all the cards! Ben's face is great!! :) Yay! for a special day! Can't wait for your weekend and to hear all about it! Love you both soooo much and I'm going to miss you lots! love you!

Emily said...

Katie, I am so glad you had a wonderful day. That is so sweet of Ben to surprise you with the flowers...he def. gets a thumbs up for that! PS-Is that candy corn in the vase? So creative!! Praying for you both!

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes from reading this. What a beautiful couple-I wish you many more anniversaries! xx

Wende and Evan said...

Such a beautiful post, Katie! You truly are an amazing woman and wife! Thank you for all your faithful posts of your daily life and daily struggles. It is so apparent that God is walking beside you both and carrying you when you need it. I continue to pray for Ben's healing. So thankful that you were able to spend your anniversary in a special way with Ben. Many more to come!

Kim @ The Gab said...

I loved seeing the picture of Ben's face when he saw the letters. I pray all the letters bring the encouragement he needs to keep working hard daily. Stay strong my friend. xoxo

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

What a great post!!! love all the letters!!!!!! congrats on your anniversary!

Brooke T said...

Hey Ben & Katie!
Somehow I have come across your blog and just spent like an hour going through everything. I'm shedding some tears for you both happy and sad! You are an amazing couple and I look up to your both. Tell Ben to don't give up! HE CAN DO IT!!! Katie, I hope to be an amazing girlfriend/wife just like you! You're so ... AMAZING! lol. I'm praying for you two!

LOVE,
Brooke

Chrissy said...

Hey there,

I found your site recently off of "A Love Worth Waiting For". I just wanted to tell you that I am praying for you guys. The love that you both have for each other is amazing. Your steadfastness and faithfulness to Ben is so inspiring. You've encouraged readers before to not take one day for granted or anything for granted in marriage. Hearing you say that and sensing the love that you possess for Ben convicted me in just plain old selfishness that can creep into my heart. Thank you for your testimony of love. You radiate the joy of the Lord, which is evidence of Him holding you and Ben together. May you soon be able to rejoice in Ben's full healing!! I will keep you guys in my prayers for sure. And, Happy Anniversary!!!

Blessings,
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Katie!! I know I have already written, but as I was going over your blog again, I am struck with the PRIDE coming from Ben, pride in being with you. Hugs, Marion