Tuesday, June 5, 2012

self steps and pull ups...


Saying we are busy is an understatement! Saying we are, ok maybe just me, tired is an understatement! Saying our brains are on overload, another understatement! We are busy, tired and the brains are def on overload! I don't know if anything else can fit in our brains! Earlier today as we were talking to Ben's OT I said something and it didn't come out right. Ben looked at me and said, "and you say I have the brain injury?" Seriously the nerve of that man in that moment. All we could do was bust out in laughter! I will agree Ben has the traumatic brain injury but I have aquired brain injury better known as ABI! Everytime I went to start a blog I would wake up...yup, that's how I am at night! tonight is the night for a blog post!

There is no way that I can go back and post all of the pics, videos and updates that have been going on! Way to many! I will share some amazing things Ben has been doing in therapy just in the past few days and then also some random things.

So as some as you know, and you follow our Prayers for Ben on facebook. I have been better at putting things on there that Ben has said or things that are going on. I wanted to share some of those with y'all who just read on here too. Some are funny, amazing and bitter sweet!

...while laying in bed and waking up Ben told me that he wanted to use his GI bill, become a physical therapist to help soldiers and others get better

...listening Ben pray in bed after he told me he's discouraged and bitter of the fact he was in the accident and cannot do the things he wants. I told him the best thing to do was pray and let Jesus know his heart! Lord bring more healing to your son and bring peace to his heart...

...this morning I gave Ben his pants and tshirt while he was sitting on the couch. I went to our room to finish getting ready and I knew that his shirt would be on when I came out and then I would help him put his pants on. To my surprise he had both his shirt and pants on! I asked him how he did his pants and if he stood up to put his pants on. He did not stand but he said he just moved them up! WOW! I think I will soon be fired as his care giver and just be his wife...

...took Ben to get his get his haircut for the first time in almost 2 years! Yes, I had been cutting it! After he saw it and we were in the van he said, "you're fired!" Say what! Haha I will glady accept that firing...

...ben saw someone smooch on tv and he looked at me and told me he remembered our first kiss! He gave me the details and got all bit one lil detail right! He kissed me and the said our kisses today are much more meaningful. love him...

It is all these lil things that amount to big things!

So, on to some amazing video clips I have! Ben has been doing so well and working so hard in his therapies. He gets so frustrated when he cannot do more or do it better but just reminding him how far he has come seems to help a bit. Of course to him if it is not 110% every time it is never enough but his 110% is just different now!

So, he wanted to do some pull-ups last week. First attempt, got his arms up, second attempt, this...


Something AMAZING Ben did today was take a few steps on his own! When I get this it was about his 5th time doing it so he was a bit sluggish but he did awesome! He was very proud of it for sure!


Pretty darn stinking cool huh! Prayers are continuing to be answered right before our eyes! We serve an amazing God! So awesome He is!

Ben is off of all the meds below. A few are duplicates but these were all the ones I threw away. Currently Ben is only on 2 seizure meds and vitamins. Our next step is to get him off the seizure meds and pray that he doesn't need to be on them. This will come in time...


Just a few random gym pics...





We got our hyperbaric chamber set up on Saturday. It has been a long time in coming but it is here and Ben has had a treatment every day since then. We pray over his treatments that the Lord would just use this piece of equiptment to bring more healing. The plan is to rent it for 2 months and then go from there. Today I sat in there and did my devotions. I read the Bible out loud and even though Ben couldn't hear me that well, his spirit was getting it!





Today Ben had his hyperbaric treatment, his own Bible reading time, Speech therapy, lunch, OT for 3 hours and then back to play with 2 nephews and a niece we had for a bit. When I came in from checking the meat on the grill this is how I found him, he was pooped...


I am sure I look the same at night but ha, no one is here to take my photos! I am sure that taking these of Ben and posting them will come back to get me because he may take some and post them at one point! Lord help me if that ever happens!!

Thank you for being patient with me on my lack of postings! Most weeks I think I am going to get better but as you have seen I get behind! Thank you also for your continued prayers! They are a huge blessing and are still very much needed! Y'all are a blessing to us...

13 comments:

Laurel said...

Yea for ALL that God is doing for Ben!!!

So happy to hear of the many answers to prayer.

Just the picture at the top of the post, shows much improvement. it does. There is only a very slight tilt of the head, and his smile just radiates healing (on the inside and out).

Thanks for the newsy update. I always love to hear what you all are busy with.

Laurel

Katie said...

Ben is making such wonderful progress! Because of a previous post u had made, my family is now looking into the chamber. My father has MS and has tried everything to slow it down but never heard of doing this.
thank you for posting about it.

Victoria said...

I did a blog post on you and your hubby for my memorial day post. You are both so amazing and inspirational! Ben's strength and determination, coupled with your love and devotion...it's a winning team and I enjoy reading about the progress he's making. It's quite a journey and thank you so much for sharing it, it helps to keep things in perspective for me:) Go Ben go!!!

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Those pullups were incredible!

That chamber looks interesting. I could research, but I don't know what it does. Seems peaceful though!

Glad you guys are busy and there is lots of progress. While I know life is not how you want it to be (especially Ben and his dreams), it's lovely to see him progress and have small victories. You guys are a wonderful couple that is a great inspiration for other couples out there as well. :)

Anonymous said...

W O W, W O W, W O W!!!! I can't even begin to do any pull-ups. I am so proud of Ben. It is amazing to see what God has done. Thank you for posting here. I am one of the ones who only come here. If I did facebook, I would never be off the computer......NOT a good thing. I love you and continue to trust Father for each of you. Marion

Caroline said...

so wonderful. I just love his drive to keep getting better.

I cut Miles hair too, but sometimes I wish he just went back to having someone else do it (mostly because I'm lazy and hate getting hair all over me)

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie,

What you and Ben are doing is far more than writing a blog; don't worry about the latter!
Love the perseverance of Ben and also his dry wit. That will pull both of you through. It is so rewarding to see the progress. Keep praying and hoping for better days; there WILL be.
Love to you both,
Mariette

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Always good to hear the updates and glad Ben is progressing. Take care and continuing in prayer for Ben's healing and your patience. You are awesome to love him and stay with him with encouragement. Hugs!

sharon said...

Ben you are a huge encouragement! The pullups were amazing. Loved watching you walk. You have come a long way and continue to make progress. Katie, thanks for taking the time to share...know your plate is full, but you still make time. love, aunt sharon

Lynnae said...

Katie, I find your blog very inspirational. I used to read regularly but a busy new job kept me from my usual blog hopping for months. It seems like a greater improvement when you see it that way, all at once. God bless you for being there every day, in the day-to-day work. You are an inspiration as a wife. My husband is deployed now and I'm not used to taking care of everything on my own but when I read blogs like yours it fires me up to help me do a better job.

Anonymous said...

Katie, There was a blog entry where you were the hyperbaric chamber. Would you ever go in now that you are renting the chamber, or is it just for Ben? Marion

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, LOVE reading about everything Ben is remembering. Getting a bit teary thinking about it. He has come so far and like many of your readers, you inspire me to have a better relationship with God, with my husband, and most of all... myself! Yes, praying for you to be fired as a caretaker soon and just be his wife :)