Wednesday, September 22, 2010
mini vans, pedi and milkshakes...
Yesterday was another accomplishment for Ben! we have a big outting coming up on Saturday (stay tuned for blog report) and Ben's rec therapist didn't really want to take the massive wheel chair van. so, she got together with Ben's PT and they decided to try Ben out on transfers to the front seat of a mini van!! This was a first and I was super excited! Ben did amazing with his stands and he was able to do it 2 times! We didn't go anywhere yesterday but told him that we would take him someone today!
Later that afternoon I went out with another patients wife Kathleen! She is a lovely lady who I have been able to hang out with on several occassions! We hit up the mall, got much needed pedis and dinner at PF Changs!!
Today we made sure that we practiced more car transfers and then took Ben on his first ride, in a van, in the front seat to get of course a milkshake!! We got it for him and gave it to him to sip on the way home! It was not coming through the straw and we were all thinking it was because it was a thick milkshake! By the time we got back to the hospital he still had not got one sip of his chocolate shake!! I tried and nothing...just the sound of air! Poor Ben had a slit in his straw so he couldn't get anything out!! Of course I traded him for my straw and the slurped the thing down in no time!!
We are now set to go to our outting Saturday in the mini van (ours is not here yet so we are using one from the VA!) All we have to do is throw Ben's chair in the back and off we will go...and Ben will be much more comfortable! Photos and updates to come!
1. Ben's smile! Pray that he gets his smile back soon! He does a slight one but I am praying that he get it back...it lights up people's lives...and mine!
2. Trunk control...Ben needs this so that most of all his other movements work.
3. Arm mobility: the tightness in his arms limits Ben to alot that he can do. Pray for movement from the shoulders and loosening of the arms.
4. Continued head and neck strength. Loosening of the muscles and that he can hold it up!
5. Speech...that it would have more volume and that he would initiate words but bigger even sentances!
6. Memory...that Ben will retain what he is learning now and what he has been doing!
7. Continued increase of a better mood! The down in the dumps feeling would leave in Jesus name!
8. Direction for the future.
9. I am emotionally tired yet again! Please pray for strength and endurance!
Love you all and thank you so much for your continued prayers, love and encouragement! Keep them coming because we sure feel it!
at 4:13 PM