Wednesday, March 28, 2012

1,000 cranes...



Not to long ago one of our friend brought a gift over that she had come up with for Ben and I. When she had told me she had something for us I was not thinking that is was going to be what it was...because it is so amazing!

She wrote this after she brought it over...

"So the 1000 cranes, in Japanese culture represents a wish for good health and well being. It is often made for those who are ill and can even be made for weddings as a symbol of a happy marriage.

We started the project in April of 2010 and completed it in January of 2012. The first night we started making the cranes, many of your family members came over to my house, along with some of the S family and we spent a couple of hours building them. It was a great way to get together and pray for both you and Ben and believe for complete healing. My initial goal was to complete the project right away and send it off to you guys, but the truth is, I am glad it took us 2 years to get it done, because it has been a constant reminder of you and Ben and you have both been in my thoughts and prayers continuously. It was so nice being able to sit down in your beautiful, cozy home and explain and present to you the 1000 cranes. E told me back in December that, "When you finally complete it, it WILL be the perfect timing." And I couldn't agree more."

When she lifted it out of the box I was blown away...there were so many cranes, all intricately made! There were alot of hours and prayers put into them by so many family members and friends! We now have it hanging in our room as a constant reminder of those praying for us, how delicate life is and that healing is still coming!

When looking at the cranes it tends to remind me of the scripture, "What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."

...and when I dwell on and remember this verse it takes me to the hymn, His Eye Is On the Sparrow. Civilla Martin, who wrote the lyrics, said this about her inspiration to write the song based in the scriptures outlined above,

"Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle—true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for nigh twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle's reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience."
—Civilla Martin

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart feel lonely and long for Heav'n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? A constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches over me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free,
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me
His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches

"Let not your heart be troubled,"His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth but one step I may see:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He cares for me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He cares for me.

Thank you from Ben and I to all those who were involved in this! It has been an amazing blessing and we feel so loved to reveive it!

8 comments:

Sue said...

This is beautiful! What a sweet gift for you guys!

Amanda said...

THIS is going to sound SUPER random... but did they ever fold the cranes at a restaurant in The Dalles, Oregon? There was a group of women folding cranes at a table I waited on a while back, and they said that they were making 1000 of them for a friend... Could this world be small enough that it was them??? Probably not, but maybe! What a THOUGHTFUL gift!

Robbie said...

I love that you guys got this! There is a story behind it- I remember being told by my 4th grade teacher that this little girl in Japan was diagnosed with leukemia. The doctors said there was nothing that could be done but she said that God would save her. She wanted everyone to make her a paper crane when they prayed for her. Word got out, and she soon had so many cranes that they couldn't hang them in her room and they spilled out into the hallway and into other patients rooms. She ended up not making it, but she told her family that she was ok with it because she could take one of the cranes and ride it into heaven with Jesus. Beautiful story, and such a great reminder that you are being prayed for....

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

How incredible!?!

What an incredible friend you have! I love her creativity and determination. This is no doubt something precious and symbolic to you and Ben. Thanks so much for sharing.

It really is beautiful. Amazing to think you've easily bad over 1,000 prayers said on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

I love the cranes. I want to learn how to make them. Then I will make a 1000 cranes for whomever the Lord gives me. Thank you. I love you and continue to trust Father for you guys. Marion ---I saw a bunch of John Wayne stuff, and thought of Ben. :) :)---

Meg said...

I have just added this to my Bucket List of things to do! Thank you!

MamaNan said...

What a special gift!! I am learning more about Gary Young of Young Living and found this site and thought of you~

http://www.dgaryyoung.com/d-gary-young-about.php

Rachel said...

What a true gift from the heart - all those hours of prayer as they thought of you and God's plans for your lives and His faithfulness! Just amazing!

(By the way - this is Rachel who went to the Church of L.W. with you when we were young :)